The purpose of the Scholarship is to encourage and support Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori emergency nurses undertaking postgraduate education relevant to emergency nursing. The scholarship aims to increase the number of Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori specialist emergency nurses in Australia and New Zealand.
Call for Nominations
The College of Emergency Nursing Australasia (CENA) is pleased to call for nominations for the Indigenous Emergency Nurses Scholarship. (sponsored by HESTA)
Applications will be considered from applicants who are:
- Registered Nurses who have been a Member or Fellow of the College for two or more consecutive years
- Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or Māori.
- A registered nurse with current registration and delivering emergency clinical services in Australasia.
- Enrolled or intending to enrol in a postgraduate education program at an Australian or New Zealand university as defined by Postgraduate Qualifications in Emergency Nursing policy of the College
An eligible applicant should submit his or her application on the appropriate form to the College, which should address the following questions:
- Cover letter – applications for scholarships are highly competitive and your cover letter (maximum of 1 page) should contain information regarding:
- How will this course benefit your nursing practice, your long-term goals within nursing and your community?
- Your commitment to emergency nursing.
- Proof of Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency visa.
- Evidence of enrolment in units of study.
- Document supporting name change (if different to proof of identity listed above).
- Previous semester’s results (where applicable – see eligibility above).
- Proof of your current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) (i.e. a copy of current registration certificate or printout from the NMBA website or equivalent for NZ applicants.)
- Statutory declaration confirming Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or Māori identity.
A panel of three (3) or more assessors convened by the Marketing and Communication Committee of the College shall adjudicate the applications and recommend to the College, the recipient(s) for the award, based on the following criteria:
- Impact of the proposed postgraduate education on emergency nursing practice.
- Impact of the proposed education on the provision of emergency care to the community / consumers of emergency health care.
- Appropriateness of the proposed postgraduate nursing education program to emergency care
The College shall determine the recipient of the grant. The decision of the College will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. All parts of the selection process must be conducted in accordance with the College Conflict of Interest Policy
The Innovation in Emergency Care Grant will be announced and awarded at the annual International Conference for Emergency Nursing dinner to be held in October. A representative from the nominated emergency department must register to attend the ICEN 2017 Dinner and be available to collect the prize.
The name and photos of the winner will be entered into the CENA Honour Board in perpetuity, and published in official publications of CENA and HESTA